You are here: Home » News Detail

August 6th and 7th Results and Reports

18th August 2011

Hi Everyone,

Right here is the report for the first weekend of August as I continue to play catch up. If you’ve missed the report on the last matches of July just look lower on this page.

Saturday 6th August
South Wales Dragons v Metro Devils (BCEW Twenty20 Cup QF)
This game was one step too far for Devils, they couldn’t field a team so conceded the match.

This means we now know the teams for BCEW Bill Frindall Memorial Twenty20 Cup Finals Day, they are: Metro, Northants Steelbacks, South Wales Dragons and Yorkshir VICC.

Yorkshire VICC v Warwickshire Bears (BCEW League)
For Yorkshire Arif Malik played his first match since serving a two match ban and Dominic Conway played for the first time in 2011, but Taf Naqvi was still absent as was the club’s top wicket taker Alex Towers. Warwickshire fielded a strong team but were without Paul Powers and Roy Turnham.

Justin Hollingsworth (46) and Luke Sugg (103) shared 129 for the opening wicket as Bears got off to a flying start. Sugg’s 63 ball innings ended with the score at 180 and Nathan Foy quickly followed for 16. The score was 232/4 when Mark Turnham was dismissed for 16 from 48 balls and from then on wickets fell at regular intervals. Ryan Leighton smashed 36 from 23 balls and both Mohammed Janaid (7) and Shoaib Raffique (9 not out) got career best scores as Warwickshire were eventually bowled out for 297 after 34 overs. Atif Rafiq finished with 3-89 and as usual Yorkshire’s b1s contributed in the field, this time sharing 4 catches.

Yorkshire’s reply started rapidly with Mark Betts and Peter Blueitt opening the innings. Blueitt was dismissed by Shoaib Raffique for 22 from 13 balls leaving the score 78/1. Mark Betts continued to hammer the ball to all parts of the ground and he had already reached his first career century when Mohammed Janaid struck to remove Elliot Conway for 39 making the score 222/2. Nathan Foy claimed his third catch of the innings as he removed Arif Malik caught and bowled but at 255/3 with Betts still going strong the game was slipping away from Bears. With 7 wickets and 3.4 overs remaining Betts hit the winning boundary to finish on 182 not out from just 65 balls to complete what may well be the highest run chase in BCEW League history.

This leaves Yorkshire with a chance of a second place finish where as Warwickshire are unlikely to reach the top half from here.
Sunday 7th August
Hampshire VICC v Sussex Sharks (BCEW League)
Hampshire were without a stack of experienced players including Andy Powers, Lawrence Graham and David Knott and youngsters Jemma Brown, Chris Smith, Pat Dunne and Dermuid Ware all played. Sussex were without Andy Dalby-Welsh and Matt Short made his first appearance of the season.

Hampshire’s decision to field first back fired spectacularly as their inexperienced bowling attack and low sighted field were brilliantly dismantled by Sussex’s openers. Si Ledwith (120 not out) and Joe Harrison (127 not out) notched the second and third century in Sussex’s club history. This was Ledwith’s second career century (his first for Sharks and his overall top score) and was Harrison’s first career century. It showed Sussex’s utter dominance that they were able to declare on 288/0 after just 22 overs.

After slipping to 19/2 Ian Morris (2) and Thom Norton (11) shared the longest partnership of Hampshire’s innings as their side progressed to 35/2. When Morris was dismissed Hampshire suffered a staggering collapse plummeting to 39/7 as five wickets fell for four runs. Dan Field took four of those five wickets and finished the day with 4-8. Chris Smith (2), Mark Oliphant (2) and Matt Cooper (0 not out from 23 balls) were helped by a few extras as they edged the score past 50 to earn their side a point. Matt Short took his first wicket of the season and Si Ledwith took his fifth catch of the match as the last wicket fell, leaving Hampshire 51 All Out. Sussex won by 237 runs with 15.5 overs to spare.

This took Sussex further clear at the top of the table and left them knowing that a win against Metro on August 13th would leave them on the verge of winning the league title for the first time.