You are here: Home » News Detail

June 11th and 12th update

12th June 2011

By Dave Gavrilovic

This weekend saw two games sure to have a big impact on the BCEW League title race.

Saturday Warwickshire Bears v Sussex Sharks (BCEW League) Both teams only had 9 players but with a number of Shark’s key players absent Bears went into the game as favourites.

Warwickshire batted first and attacked from the off intending to declare early. Justin Hollingsworth scored 106 including about ten boundaries and Nathan Foy hit a very rapid 52 but before the end of the 24th over Bears were bowled out for 256 with Mark Burchell taking 4 wickets.

Si Ledwith struck 78 and Joe Harrison 48 to give Sharks a strong start, but when Ledwith fell just after the drinks break for his highest score for Sharks Warwickshire looked the more likely to win. The game was halted by rain and when it started again Sussex needed 60 to win. Wickets continued to fall and when Matt Greenhough and Marcus Kippling came together they still needed 29 for the last wicket. The two Sharks youngsters held their nerve and with help from a high number of extras saw their side over the line for a thrilling 3 wicket victory.

This moves Sussex second in the table and means Warwickshire can’t afford another defeat if they want to fight for the title.

Yorkshire VICC v Metro (BCEW League) Yorkshire were boosted by an earlier than expected return from injury for Taf Naqvi, where as Metro only fielded 9 players, only 5 of whom were partials.

Yorkshire won the toss and chose to bowl first in very wet conditions. Metro openers Matt Dean and Rory Field blasted 32 runs from the first 3 overs before Matt Dean was first out in very unfortunate circumstances as Rory Field played a straight drive that bowler Alex Towers tipped onto the stumps to run Dean as non striker out in the 4th over.

Amit Amin, Heindrich Swanepoel and Shakir Iqbal all followed Dean back to the pavilion, Iqbal possibly slightly unluckily as his LBW appeared to be bat first.

Rory Field was dismissed shortly after the drinks break as Yorkshire thought they were closing in on the Metro tail, but at 96/5 after 17 overs heavy rain forced the teams off. Tea was taken early but the rain didn’t ease up and the match finished a draw as enough overs had been played to make the match official.

Given the conditions Metro’s score was still competitive and with Andy Law and Gavin Dean at the wicket they had plenty of experience still batting. Yorkshire can take plenty of positives including first catches for David White and Peter Blueitt as well as another catch for Mark Betts.

The weekend’s results leave Dragons and Sussex as the only teams with 100% records.

June 18 and 19 see four more league games with Metro v Sussex and South Wales v Warwickshire (both on Saturday) looking crucial in the title race.