You are here: Home » News Detail

Update from May 21st matches

24th May 2011

By Dave Gavrilovic

This Saturday saw all 8 BCEW league teams in action.

South Wales v Hampshire (League) Both teams were under strength for a game played in windy conditions with Damion Corrigan, Howard Greenhill, Andy Powers, Lawrence Graham and Matt Page all absent. Dragons batted first and a fluent Toby Warren hit an excellent 99 before a sharp catch by Ryan West saw him miss out on a century. Mike Harrison, Aidy Snelgrove, Dave Wood and Dave Ellingham all contributed and the Welshmen declared at 229/3 after 27 overs.

Ryan West and Rob Whittle put up some early fight and David Knott batted very well lower down, but the story was a career best 7 wicket haul from Dave Ellingham. His wickets were a mixture of catches including from Keryn Seal, Dave Wood and Mike Harrison, a hit wicket and a couple of bowled’s. Dragons 114 run victory sends them top of the table where as Hampshire slip a place to third. Dave Ellingham is also clear at the top of the wicket takers list with 11 in just 2 games.

Northants Steelbacks v Metro Devils (League) This game was also played in windy conditions. Northants won the toss and asked the Devils to bat. Despite an early wicket the Londoners reached 40/1 after around 11 overs thanks to some solid batting from Ryan Jones and Hassan Khan. 2 quick wickets from Charles Ronayne and a chaotic run out saw the Devils slip to 50/4 at the drinks break and the fifth wicket followed soon after. Dave Samuels and Theresa Robberts produced a superb fight back with a partnership that lasted about 14 overs adding 61. Northants finally broke through when Charles Ronayne produced an edge from Samuels and Dave Gavrilovic took a sharp catch to remove the Devils skipper for 39. Ronayne struck again in the same over to secure a double wicket maiden and completed new club record bowling figures of 5-31 with an LBW in the 36th over. Theresa was unluckily run out for 22 in the next over and Dave Gavrilovic finished with figures of 3-57 after taking the last wicket at the start of the 40th over.

This left Northants 20 overs to score 153. Ian Goodearl (28) and Matt Ringland (37) got Steelbacks off to a flying start before Goodearl and Dave Gavrilovic were dismissed in the 8th over by Roy Smith. Theresa Robberts took a good catch from Hassan Khan’s bowling to remove Ringland but Mark Horbatowski (22 not out) and Dave Keeling (30 not out) saw Steelbacks to a 7 wicket win that sent them second in the table.

Sussex Sharks v Yorkshire VICC (League) This game was both side’s first match of the season and was played in calm conditions. Yorkshire won the toss and put the Sharks in and with John Garbett striking early to remove Joe Harrison for 5 it looked a good decision. Si Ledwith (21) and Miles Northwood (24) advanced the innings but they were both gone by the time the score reached 69/3. Dan Field then took complete control with a brutal 90 from 46 balls, including 10 fours and 3 sixes, to rapidly push Sussex past 200. Gav Griffiths (20) provided solid support and the south coast side declared on 211/6 after 28 overs, John Garbett taking 3-65.

Yorkshire’s reply started with an early wicket with Dan Field catching Jason Adams off Andy Dalby-Welsh’s bowling from the fourth ball of the innings. Arif Malik played the anchor role in a 76 run partnership in which he only added 8 with Mark Betts smashing 56 from just 20 balls at the other end. When the second wicket did fall it triggered an astonishing collapse with Malik, Betts and Peter Blueitt all dismissed with the score on 76. Four more wickets followed in quick succession with the score limping to 101/8 as Dan Field and Toby Collins each took 2 wickets, Field not conceding a single run off the bat in any of his four overs. Atif Rafiq and John Garbett showed some fight batting together for about 11 overs, but in the end Yorkshire fell 3.2 overs short of earning a draw at 130 All Out.

BCEW Bill Frindall memorial Twenty20 Cup Quarter Final

Metro v Warwickshire Bears This game saw a repeat of the 2010 T20 cup final. Metro batted first and yet another brilliant performance from England captain Matt Dean with a superb 118 set the London side up for a big score. Half centuries from Rory Field and Steve Humphreys helped set a new competition record score of 298/3.

Warwickshire batted well in response but never looked like chasing down their monster target. A second consecutive score of 79 not out from Justin Hollingsworth was the main stay of the Bears 192/3. Metro’s 106 run win means a new team will get their hands on the trophy this year as Warwickshire were victorious in the first two editions of the competition in 2009 and 2010.

This weekend is England training so the next competitive fixtures are five games on June 4th and 5th including all 4 BBS Primary Club national knockout cup quarter finals.