You are here: Home » News Detail

Warwickshire and Sussex Celebrate!

23rd August 2011

Hi Everyone,

Well I still haven’t fully caught up, but hear are the games from August 13th.

Saturday August 13th
BBS Primary Club National Knockout Cup Final
South Wales Dragons v Warwickshire Bears
The only big name missing from either side was Toby Warren who missed the final for Dragons. Damion Corrigan and Keryn Seal (South Wales) as well as Dave and Paul Powers (Warwickshire) made rare appearances.

South Wales lost the toss and went in to bat, they struggled early on and at the end of the fifth over Mark Turnham had Keryn Seal trapped LBW for 4 to make the score 15/1. Mike Harrison batted calmly as Damion Corrigan began to attack at the other end but some tight bowling, especially from Justin Hollingsworth (6 overs 0-21), meant after 16 overs the score was only 67/1. This was the point when Dragons scoring rate increased, as they added 38 in 3 overs despite Luke Sugg dismissing Harrison caught behind for 16 after a 58 ball innings. Corrigan began to dominate the strike as wickets fell rapidly at the other end, a Mark Turnham catch saw off Kurt Butler, a superb direct hit run out from Ryan Leighton was the end of Howard Greenhill and Adrian Snelgrove was bowled by Luke Sugg. This left the score at 145/5 when Dave Wood came to the crease. Wood batted well for 12 not out but it was a brilliant historic 109 not out from Damion Corrigan (the first
century in cup final history) that was key to Dragons reaching 182/5 at the end of their 30 overs.

Warwickshire’s response started with a fluent opening partnership between Justin Hollingsworth and Luke Sugg that paid 15 runs from the first 2 overs before Hollingsworth was bowled by Howard Greenhill for 4. Mark Turnham batted well with Sugg reaching 8 as the score rose to 50/1 before a dramatic over turned the game on it’s head. Karl Phillips had Turnham caught behind from the first ball, Nathan Foy then smashed a boundary, before running 2 from a dropped catch and then getting bowled for 12 from the final ball as the score slipped to 63/3.

Luke Sugg continued to accumulate runs when Paul Powers joined him as the score passed 100. Powers suffered an injury and had to bat with a runner which slowed his progress and he was eventually caught by Howard Greenhill off Keryn Seal’s bowling for 16. Greenhill’s second catch, this time from Damion Corrigan’s bowling, removed Ryan Leighton for 5 and left Bears needing another 61 to win with wickets running out. Despite Dragons continuing to fight the game was taken away from them very quickly by a fine partnership from Luke Sugg (77 not out) and Dave Powers (25 not out) as neither batsman gave the Welshmen time to take another wicket. The game was over with 5 wickets and 6 overs to spare as Warwickshire won the cup for the first time.

Gloucestershire CCC wicketkeeper Jonathon Batty presented the trophies and Luke Sugg was partially sighted man of the match with Mark Turnham B1 man of the match.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks to the Primary Club for their incredible support of our competition and everyone at Gloucestershire CCC whose efforts contributed to an enjoyable and successful day.

BCEW League
Metro v Sussex Sharks
Metro included Bryn Reynolds, Joel Robinson played for the first time in 2011 and Eamon Sheering played his second ever match. Sussex had Robin Williams in their team for the first time in two years and Reishon Richards made his second appearance for the club, the only major absentee was Miles Northwood.

Metro’s decision to bowl first paid early dividence when Heindrich Swanepoel bowled Si Ledwith for 0. Joe Harrison was joined at the crease by Kelvin Duncan and they batted well together with Duncan facing 32 balls for 14 before he was caught by Steve Humphreys from Amit Amin’s bowling. Harrison was joined by Dan Field and they set about dismantling the London side’s attack. Harrison was eventually out with the score on about 200 as he just missed out on a second century in as many weeks. Eventually he was caught by Matt Dean off Joel Robinson’s bowling for 96. Dan Field reached 74 not out and Toby Collins finished on 16 not out as Sharks declared on 243/3 after 30 overs.

Metro’s response started in termoil as they lost 4 wickets in the first 6 overs including 2 catches for Joe Harrison and Steve Humphreys facing just one ball before being run out. Then Bryn Reynolds and Joel Robinson rescued the innings batting together for nearly 20 overs. With the draw in sight Robinson was finally bowled by Andy Dalby-Welsh scoring 13 from 50 balls. Shakir Iqbal was rapidly dismissed caught behind from Gav Griffiths’s bowling. Reynolds stood firm at one end but he could do nothing to stop an extraordinary bowling spell from Joe Harrison at the other end that saw him claim 4 wickets for 3 runs. Metro’s last 5 batsmen faced just 12 balls between them and Harrison’s exceptional effort saw Sharks claim the final wicket with just 8 balls to spare. After a 75 ball vidual Reynolds was stranded on 14 not out and will surely have felt unlucky to have played such a terrific innings and still have ended up on the losing side.

This result left Sharks on the verge of their first league title, more on that below.

Saturday August 20th
Sussex Sharks v South Wales Dragons
Dragons were unable to field a team and therefore conceded the match. This means Sussex get the full 22 points where as Dragons are deducted 5 points.

Sussex Sharks are BCEW National League Champions for 2011
This is Sussex’s first league title triumph and there second trophy after winning the BBS Cup in 2010. Sussex also got the maximum 154 points from their 7 league games. Congratulations to the Sharks!