You are here: Home » News Detail

England Blind lose India opener

28th May 2015

Report by the England & Wales Cricket Board

Half-centuries from Nathan Foy and Luke Sugg were in vain as England Blind went down to a 58-run defeat to world champions India in their opening Royal London one day international at Leamington CC on Sunday.

Foy's dashing 90 off just 60 balls gave England a chance of chasing down a victory target of 315 in a match reduced to 36 overs a side due to rain.

He put on a partnership of 172 with Sugg, the England Disability Cricketer of the Year who contributed 72 off 73 balls, but it was to no avail as they were all out for 256 in 32 overs.

India had earlier set an imposing 314 for six, with man-of-the-match Kehan Patel top-scoring with 64, while Ajay Reddy contributed 59 as they went 1-0 up in the three-match series.

England will get an immediate chance for revenge at Wolverhampton CC tomorrow, and Sugg insists the team will learn from Sunday's mistakes.

He said: "There are a lot of positives to take forward, especially going into the games tomorrow and Friday. I believe that's the closest anybody apart from Pakistan has ever pushed India in blind cricket so that's a huge boost for us."

Sugg, who also chipped in with 1-37 from his four overs, was delighted to strike up another fruitful partnership with Foy, even if it was in a losing cause.

He said: "It was quite tough hitting the boundaries but Nathan's an experienced player and it's great to have him back, and the partnerships we've had in the past have just picked up straight again with a beautiful 170-odd right there."

After collecting his award at a special dinner held in the Long Room at Lord’s for England's teams last week, Sugg added: "It was an amazing experience meeting all these guys. It was a great honour for me and a great achievement for 2014 and hopefully I'll pick it up in 2015 as well."